Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wheelchair Tennis' Sarah Hunter Blogs From Her European Tour

As I write I am sitting on a train enroute from Rotterdam to Salzburg. I have been away for 2.5 weeks now with 1.5 to go. Seeing my little girl on Skype reminds me of why it has been eight years since I have done a long European tour. One, sometimes two tournaments is perfect, three overseas events is now pushing the limit. The days of coming over here for eight weeks are long behind me!

Enough of the mundane chatter. I often hear from my friends and followers how great it must be going from country to country and seeing the world. Those comments are often accompanied with such things as, " I would love to trade places with you", " what an exciting life to lead". I am privileged to being living such a life, however I feel I need to quantify that, just in case you have doubts.

After arriving in Salzburg, on the top of my list of things to do was find a laundromat! I had been hand washing most of my clothes to this point but they had that hand washed feel to them and they were ready for a serious washing. I checked in to the hotel, went to my room ( third event in a row with a non-functioning air conditioner at a four star hotel), sorted my laundry, googled to find a laundromat. Off I went. I dodged traffic, often forgetting where I was and what direction I needed to look first when crossing, bumped down curbs, hopped up curbs, traveled on cobblestone ( my personal favourite, especially when a front castor catches between the stones and sends me and all of my belongings flying out of my chair), went over bridges, through what felt like a dodgy part of the city, finally arriving at my destination, the Green Clean. I was greeted by an entrance which included several steps. I dragged myself and my chair up the steps, then bummed back down to get my laundry. I was hot and tired.

Once in the Green Clean I found the washers spending several minutes looking at the machine and wondering how to operate it as it was not coin- operated. I walked around and found a central computer that operated everything. My German is not very good so this presented its challenges. After some time I figured out how the numbers on the machines corresponded with numbers on the computer screen. I put in the amount showing and hoped it was a regular wash and that whatever temperature the water was would be okay. I went through the same routine with the dryer. It was worth the effort, I was in a state of sheer bliss. There is nothing like clean clothes on an extended road trip. Now to get back to the hotel....

My bags were unpacked, clothes put away, what next? Oh yes, what time is it at home I would like to talk with my family and I need to talk with my coach. Nope, they were still sleeping. Off to the grocery store. Shopping list included fruit, vegetables, snacks and much water. Back to my room with bags in hand.

Now I was able to Skype. I am confronted with the reality of being on the road and having a family head on. My daughter asks, " Mummy when ARE you coming home?". Oh the guilt! After telling jokes playing games and chatting I say good bye. Now it is my coaches turn. She asked, Am I following my preparation plans that are newly in place for this tour? Have I got a training partner for the clay? Am I hydrating properly since Salzburg has been very, very,hot. How am I feeling?

Well, I am exhausted and I have not even hit a ball yet! I must stop myself from thinking about how I would like to be home now and direct my thoughts to this event and performing my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment